It’s never too early to plan. What you do this fall and winter may be less expensive to choose now. There are several considerations to review when choosing whether to leave dormant turf as-is or whether to choose between traditional overseed, liquid overseed or both.
Tag: dormant turf
It’s about time to consider the fall turfgrass plan for winter management. Are you planning to overseed, apply colorant or considering a combination of the two?
Very few golf course superintendents choose to overseed anymore and if they do, they apply colorant as well– especially on the east coast of the United States.
Q&A: Geoponics & Virginia Golf Course Superintendent Jay Wade
Each season has its challenges for growing healthy turfgrass. Particularly challenging is maintaining that vibrant green color expected by golf club members and tournament players, regardless of climate, weather or water restrictions.
So when Geoponics heard of a man in Virginia who maintained a green golf course throughout the year, throughout a multitude of growing conditions, pleasing members with his handling of warm season grasses even during cool weather, we wanted to hear how he did it. Golf Course Superintendent Jay Wade shares how he maintains healthy turf throughout the seasons.
Here is our brief interview.
Three more turfgrass managers share their experiences with green grass that lasted all winter
Rain or shine Endurant lasts a long time providing a full season of green grass
Turfgrass managers are reporting green grass that lasts all season long when applying Endurant turf color enhancers.
Endurant turf colorant lasts three solid months and it’s still going strong in Moseley, Virginia
Sod growers, sports field managers and golf course superintendents find Endurant turf colorants are a viable solution to use during overseed transitions or instead of overseed entirely
Turfgrass managers choose Endurant turf colorants instead of overseed for economics, aesthetics, and agronomics
Endurant sows seeds of potential for sod growers & other turfgrass professionals
Sod growers love Endurant for revolutionizing their winter sod business. Sod Solutions, innovators in natural grass, along with WinField United Pro, which provides a comprehensive line-up of research based agricultural and farming products, among others, choose Endurant turf colorants as their alternative to overseed.
— Geoponics Corp (@geoponics) March 9, 2016
Many turfgrass professionals find Endurant provides better turf, true natural color, and agronomic benefits while decreasing costs and environmental strains caused by overseeding. Overseeding requires more water usage and damage to water sources as overseeding often includes overwatering and over-fertilizing winter turf.
While Endurant turf colorants aren’t really anything new, more and more people in professions including agriculture, golf course management, landscaping, sod farming, real estate, sports field management, and others are learning how helpful Endurant turf color enhancers can be in a variety of conditions, including drought, dormancy, water restrictions, tight budgets, television and filming.
Endurant can be used on dormant turf, actively growing grass, warm season and cool season grasses.
Ask Mr. Wise Grass about Endurant turf colorants
West Coast Turf and their sister company Western Sod have lauded the benefits of Endurant as an alternative to overseed. Mr. Wise Grass is the name of a West Coast Turf blog where a turfgrass pro named Jay posts information on everything you need to know about the best sod and turfgrass for your environment, uses, and budget. He answers common questions regarding issues surrounding grass and more technical issues that can be resolved with years of professional experience.
Here’s what Jay has to say about Endurant turf paint:
This product can be applied to overseeded or dormant turf to give your lawn the same ryegrass color you seeded with. The turf paint serves another purpose besides just providing color. It heats up the plant and will allow for faster spring green up in dormant turf and will help new ryegrass plants fill in any voids from the encroaching bermudagrass during seeding.
Check out more from Mr. Wise Grass.
Endurant Landscape Colorants: A guide for lawns & mulch
Keeping a lawn green and healthy year round can be costly. Likewise, keeping mulch looking fresh by adding more layers can be time-consuming and ineffective for the health of the plants.
Endurant Landscape Colorants provide lasting solutions to these challenges.
Endurant Lawn Colorant is a favorite choice among professionals and homeowners alike to keep grass looking vibrant without the overuse of water, fertilizer, and harsh chemicals.
Endurant Mulch Colorants keep mulch looking fresh without the danger to the health of plants and trees caused by over-mulching, which is a common cause for strangling roots.
Mulch and turf colorants, whether used together or separately, keep landscapes looking their best throughout various climate conditions.
- Save landscape managers’ time by eliminating the need to thatch lawns in the spring because no secondary root system is ever introduced.
- Endurant turf colorants are made with specific binders for turfgrass that is long-lasting, providing consistent natural green color for approximately three months on dormant winter grass and lasting several weeks or months on actively growing grass, depending upon the mowing schedule.
- Eliminate the need to over-seed, over-fertilize, and over-water each fall.
- Turf colorant comes in five popular shades to coordinate with various turf grass varieties and will not turn blue.
- Provides a solution to drought-stricken grass.
- Provides a beautiful and cost-effective solution to managing dormant, dead-looking brown grass that comes each year in warm season grass varieties.
- Warm season grasses, including Bermuda, Zoysia, and Centipede naturally go into dormancy with each frost Also, fescue turgrass tends to burn, brown, and dry in summer months easily depending upon water restrictions and weather conditions. Endurant comes in a shade to best coordinate each grass type, including the original Endurant Turf Colorant and Endurant Lawn Colorant Home Lawn Blends for most Bermuda grasses.
- Endurant is the preferred alternative to using fertilizer and overseed.
- Endurant provides perfect wow factor when listing a home for sale or getting a golf course or athletic field ready for game day or TV.
- Endurant can be used to can be used to cover brown patches or to treat entire turfgrass sod farms.
- Endurant turf colorants improve the look of grass while being environmentally friendly, easy to apply, and improving soil and plant health.
- Endurant provides an alternative solution to the harmful fertilizers that include phosphorus and nitrogen, which are harming water quality and water supplies.
Learn how to apply Endurant Landscape Colorants
Want to learn how easy it is to apply Endurant? Learn the how-to as well as more about the four popular shades of Endurant Mulch Colorants and the five popular shades of Endurant Turf Colorants in this recent Endurant Lawn Colorants Brochure
READ THE FULL GUIDE: Endurant Lawn Colorants Brochure
Harmony sod farmer: Cool season grass gets color boost in New Mexico mountains
Sod farmer Jeff Neddelton of Harmony Brands, the #1 selling grass in the U.S., shares the challenges and successes of growing cool season grasses in the New Mexico mountains. Endurant turf color enhancers are helping the farm with sales.
Achieving the best performance of colorants on turf grass requires simple preparation prior to application. Answering the following questions is key to successfully applying colorants to the turf.
This brief Q&A guide is geared especially toward helping sod growers, golf course superintendents and other landscape managers of large properties. Home lawn users check out this blog for some particulars to help with smaller grass painting jobs. Professionals and home lawn users can also find more tips on how to paint turf here.